(2) What every Hotel should know when installing the WIFI
When installing the Wi-Fi in the hotel, you must also estimate the bandwidth needs. We will need to contract with our operators, whether ADSL, fiber optics, 3G, LTE, or Satellite operator what our report we have available the area to meet the needs of the hotel.
Surely we put over a WAN, and in this case we must consider another essential element in our network: WAN aggregator, you should be able to manage and process thousands of requests from all the users of our network, choose the most appropriate course WAN and must be able to tell immediately of any network failure immediately. For example, with an automatic mail before the fall of one of our ADSL or the usual Microcuts.
It is also desirable that the WAN aggregator is able to create VPN, or at least be transparent to them, and make rules according to the requests have either quality of service as of properly routing applications and services to both upload and download. And it is advisable to be able to remove unwanted services like P2P, etc.
The heart of the network: the controller
A well-made installation requires a proper study. Not worth going that filling the hotel Aps (Internet access points) at each corner without any order in any way mixing brands and products with different characteristics, household installing repeaters, amplifiers, etc. all this will not accomplish nothing else to do a nonfunctional, insecure and chaotic network.
Not worth going Aps filling the hotel (Internet access points) on every corner and in every way, mixing brands and products with different characteristics, household installing repeaters, etc .: all this results in a nonfunctional, insecure and chaotic network.
An example: if we put 30 Aps throughout the hotel, we must be able not only to know where they are and they are giving service, if not we will not know if they are really operating. And also to be able to manage fear.
- That when a crash AP, stand, to crash, we do not need only to look to our email or consult the controller to know with absolute certainty that 100 % of our network is working properly.
- That when an AP have to be reset, configured, change your IP, to upgrade, manage the number of simultaneous users, increase or decrease power, etc. We can do it from reception quietly or the IT department of the company or external to her.
We must be able to manage and monitor the network. When a customer complains, we know why and can fix immediately.
For all these efforts is the “controller” or controller. But beware: to enjoy these features of this piece of monitoring all APs must be of the same manufacturer as the controller; otherwise we could only monitor whether it is running or sagging, and that may not be enough.
It is very important to be able to act upon. Imagine that you have rented a conference room of 200 people and which are within and APs stops working properly. Chances are that the company that you rent the room may refuse to pay the bill the same as for your conference or meeting, the connection was indispensable.
The income statement and the hotel image worth more than a domestic APs €50 or €100. How many hotels are there playing today with these items?
We have all this very well; but is it managed?
To provide a safe and efficient Wi-Fi, the hotel management service users need to establish rules, Offer image, seriousness and professionalism ultimately.
The “captive portal”, that is, access to a page from which the client is connecting to the hotel network is confirmed, and it will be a customized Web page with the hotel, its services, its corporate image, your mailbox suggestions, etc. In addition, it will ask whether or not the user name and password, as we want to establish access but of course the customer must always accept the particular conditions of service, both own legal and downloading responsibilities.
Thus, with this “captive portal” we will manage customers, the quality of service we want to offer every type of customer, and can customize your needs.
We will manage our customer’s personalized and professional manner with very clear information as:
- Who is connected? Do we set a room or connection to all guests? With all devices at once? Because there customers traveling with a laptop, tablet and mobile but not make use of the three at a time, they cease loading and running connected to the wireless network even when they are in the pool or lounging.
- When connected? Since it accommodates up to be or slots? Or if we establish a connection complimentary because it is an external client to the hotel which is consumed in the cafeteria and give 20 minutes while…
- Offer what bandwidth 200, 300, 500kbits, or 1, 2, 4, 5, 10 Megs? And to all customers, some more and some less, depending on whether free or paid, or is a VIP? Or if you go to that meeting room? Or do we differentiate with which it is simply taking a cut?
We have to ask ourselves very well what the service will give, as we cannot think that in all cases and hotel will be able to offer wireless multimedia network operator if our connections are limited.
How much can you download? 100, 200, 500 Megs a day? What time? It will also depend on the WAN connection (ADLs) we have. We must be able to manage our services depending on the volume we have in each moment, and decide whether they will be able to download a movie or use Skype, Spotify, Youtube, etc. Definitely, we ask that the service we give because we cannot think that in all cases the hotels will be able to offer wireless multimedia network operator if our connections are limited.
And something fundamental, we must keep a log of connections, because from our network, our IP, someone could commit a crime, disclosing false information, bursting accounts, performed an unauthorized access… So if the security forces ask us to know who were connected on March 3, 2013, it will be as easy to view the history of that day and immediately printed or in a file. Safety is first and foremost.